It seems these days, everything I do is always for someone else. Especially when it comes to painting furniture. I have a list a mile long of project in my home that I want to get to, but somehow that never seems to happen. Well last weekend, I finally got my hands on a chair that I purchased at the Goodwill well before Christmas of 2011. I has been sitting in my living room with it's gold paint screaming at me for months...not mention the hideous fabric.
I had purchased a vintage feed sack from another merchant at the mall we are in a while back. I knew I wanted to use it to recover this chair. So all I needed to do was to decide what color to paint it.
I decided I would base coat the entire chair in CeCe Caldwell's Vermont Slate.
I waxed the entire piece, then top coat it in a custom mix of
Texas Prairie and Michigan Pine.
Then I lightly distressed it to reveal the Vermont Slate.
I sealed the chair with CeCe Caldwell's Satin Finish. It has the same look and feel as wax, but much more durable. Which for me seemed perfect. Plus you don't have to buff...which some days, I really hate doing. This was one of those days. I started the project at 5 o'clock at night and just wanted to finish it that night.
Well, I did finish all the painting and sealing, but saved the reupholstering until the next day.
I kept the original fabric to use as a pattern.
I simply split the backside of the feed sack down the middle and stitched that to both sides of the front of the feed sack so it was wide enough. Then I pinned to old fabric to the backside of the feed sack, making sure the printing was going in the correct direction and cut around the old fabric. I left about a 1/2 in border just to make sure I had room to staple.
This is the finished result.
Yes, I left the original stains that were on the sack. I felt like it added character!
Finally....something for me!